Event: Sport Relief Cycle Challenge
Brief: RBS are a corporate partner for Sport Relief 2016 and wanted to raise a significant part of their overall fundraising target through a UK wide employee engagement challenge. It had to get over 1,500 employees taking part, fundraise over £250,000 for Sport Relief and create a platform for senior leadership visibility. This would be a first of its kind for RBS and had to be turned from brief to event in just 11 weeks.
Response: Threshold proposed a two part campaign:
1. London to Edinburgh Cycle Ride: A 5 day, 500 mile cycle ride between the 2 main office hubs in Bishopsgate and Gogarburn. It provided the opportunity to ride the full 5 days, or choose from 8 different 100 mile or 35 mile sections up the country.
2. Static Bike challenge. In office activity provided for those who are less active or have less time to take part which would involve offices from Jersey to Inverness.
Results: The event was a massive success within RBS exceeding metrics across the board:
- One of the biggest corporate fundraisers in Sport Relief’s 30 year history
- Over 1,500 employees got involved
- Fundraising target smashed with over £610,000 raised vs target of £250k
- Unprecedented 15 point jump in engagement scores of Annual HR employee survey
- 93% riders had increased pride in working for RBS
- 94% riders said it had increased their perception for RBS’ support for communities
- 85% said closer relationships were formed as a result of participation in the challenge
- 73% said the challenge helped to improve their fitness and commitment to exercise moving forward
Nothing will ever match coming over the finish line and seeing your friends and colleagues waiting to welcome you home. It’s such a sense of achievement. I felt like I won the Tour.
Excellent week. Made many contacts and new friends from all parts of the business. Best week I have had in 15 years of working for the bank.